Thursday, December 1, 2011

Chia Seeds: Super Food and Weight Loss Tool


A few months ago, I came across a post on a fitness website which had a recipe containing chia seeds. It seemed bizarre that humans would eat chia seeds, since my only experience with them was in the form of chia pets.

I did a little research, and it changed my mind completely. Chia seeds are extremely nutritious, and can aid weight loss efforts.
Chia seeds are an excellent source of Omega 3 fatty acids. If you examine my post about essential fatty acids, you will find that Omega 3 fatty acids are absolutely necessary to lose weight and feel well. Unfortunately, they are not abundant in modern diets.

Luckily, chia seeds are an easy and tasty way to get Omega 3's. They can be added to water, smoothies, sprinkled on cereal, or used in baking. They come in two varieties: white and black. Both are equally nutritious.

When added to liquid, chia seeds expand and form a gel. This means that when you eat them, they slow down carb digestion, and that is great for your blood sugar. Regulating blood sugar also aids weight loss.

Also, chia seeds have a ton of fiber! This is means staying full longer, and eating less, which is very good for weight loss.

Lastly, chia seeds are full of nutrients. Good nutrition is so important for a sense of health and well-being. I have found as a thyroid patient that focusing on really good nutrition helps with weight loss more than just counting calories. If my body gets all the good things it needs, it is more willing to let go of excess fat.

I eat a tablespoon of chia seeds every day. Over the past few months, it has helped me feel better, given more shine to my hair, and given me a sense of well being. I think it also helps me eat less and gives me more energy to exercise.

Give them a try for a few weeks. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Research:
1. Dr. Weil discusses chia seeds and their benefits.
2. What's Cooking America praises chia seeds.
3. Dr. Oz mentions chia as an energy source for people with chronic fatigue, about 4 minutes into the video.

1 comment:

  1. Bet on Soccer (1XBet Korean) Online Sports Betting
    Bet on Soccer (1XBet Korean) Online Sports Betting. If you're 1xbet korean looking to play soccer for free online, you have come to the right place.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts