Thursday, September 22, 2011

My Doctor Said That to My Face? Really?

After my daughter was born, my thyroid became enlarged, my hair fell out, my joints ached, and the weight piled on. I went to the doctor, who told me my thyroid was "normal". He also told me it was normal to be tired with a baby. As for the weight, he offered to sell me a weight loss regimen. I found another doctor. Then, another.

When my daughter was 14 months old, I sought a doctor because my thyroid was still enlarged. "I am working out like mad, eat no processed foods, and live healthily and gain weight rather than losing it",  I explained. When my labs came back "normal", she treated me with open contempt. "You need to lose weight. No, we don't look at T3, that is preposterous."

Needless to say,  I told her my opinion of her worth as a doctor and never went back.

Based on my research, this behavior is pretty common. It took me years to find a doctor who actually measures and prescribes T3 hormone. For an explanation of what that is and why it is important, click here.

Is there an easy way to find out if a doctor is open-minded about latest thyroid research and is willing to prescribe based on symptoms, instead of just looking at numbers on the lab report?

There isn't an easy way, but here are some things I've learned along the way.

1. Look for a DO behind the name, instead of MD. This stands for Doctor of Osteopathy. They are doctors just like regular MDs, but their training emphasizes treating the patient as a whole. This doesn't automatically mean they will be better at dealing with the thyroid than the typical "clueless" doc, but the nature of their training means they might be more open minded. My current doctor is a DO and I am pretty happy. She also accepts my health insurance.
2. Call the office and ask how the doc deals with thyroid issues. The receptionist won't know, but most offices have a nurse or two, and you can ask to speak with them. Ask what type of lab work is requested: TSH and T4 only? Or do they measure T3 as well as free T3 and T4? What type of medication would the doctor prescribe? If no one wants to talk to you, hang up and find another doctor.
3. Ask your friends! I found my current doctor through a friend who is also hypothyroid.
4. Ask your pharmacist. They may be able to tell you which doctor prescribes certain medications, such as Armour (natural T4/T3) or Cytomel (T3). However, some laws may make this information confidential. It doesn't hurt to ask, though.
5. Look for online and/or local hypothyroidism support groups. Joining is usually free and the information you can find is priceless.

Your health is your responsibility, and just because a doctor tells you it is your fault, lack of motivation, or a figment of your imagination does NOT mean you have to accept it. Keep looking for a doctor who will take you seriously and don't give up until you are satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts