Monday, September 26, 2011

Diet: The Food You Eat Matters... A Lot


You may think that with hypothyroidism, that your metabolism is slow and that diet isn't important because you will always be stuck with some extra weight. My personal experience is that this thinking is false and detrimental to health.
However, I am not a nutritionist or doctor and what I share is not medical advice. It's just my experience.


I will do a series of posts on my discovery that a diet higher in healthy fats and lower in carbohydrates resulted in better health and lower weight. No, I did not go on the Atkins diet. I looked at the research, looked at various popular and obscure diets, experimented a little, and chose what works best for me.

My research led me to conclude that diet can:
1. Affect how and when your body breaks down food and uses it for energy
2. Affect the level of inflammation in your body
3. Help or hinder your body's ability to rid itself of wastes and toxins
4. Help or hinder your body's ability to repair itself
5. Do many more things that science, not to mention my little brain, has yet to fully understand.

The foods you eat interact with your body in numerous and complicated ways. The result is that your diet has a direct and very real impact on the way you look and feel. Those with hypothyroidism, already not feeling their best, need to choose their foods with care.

I hope that reading my posts on diet will lead you to helpful information and on a path to feeling better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts